News       Forums       Game Info       Guides       Gallery       Videos       Chat       Blogs       Msgs    

Forums  
Tabula Rasa Gamers :: Forums :: Coalition Headquarters :: The Data Link

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
BSP Thoughts
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: ConerVallore, Fractured, Masyn Goodchild, TehSoM
Author Post
{NEWFLAG} Ellume
Fri Mar 09 2007, 04:11AM

Registered Member #109

Something to keep in mind for all those working on the BSP contest.

I was looking at some of the current translations of the first line, "Long ago our civilization grew on a planet that was far travelled in the cosmos," and noticed that in this line cosmos does not have the logos for 'the' or 'of (the)' before it. Every other instant of cosmos is preceeded by 'the' or 'of (the)'. Perhaps this is just a typo on their part but probably safe to try treat it as correct unless they change it. It makes the line a bit more awkward to work with currently.

Taking a slightly new possibility the logos () may also mean which/of. Leading to a translation similar to "Long ago our civilization grew on a planet which was _____ journeying/travelling in(to) cosmos." and for line 10 "However(?) we encountered a monster which now threatens the cosmos".

Any thoughts?

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} Fractured
Fri Mar 09 2007, 08:03AM
Assistant Admin

Registered Member #3

Interesting find, I'll have to look into it a bit more in-depthly once I get a chance. Good eye though!

The shadows always consume the weak!
{NEWFLAG} Darth_Tater
Fri Mar 09 2007, 08:28AM

Registered Member #78

I agree withe interpretation the "()" Logos. Richard Garriott stated in a recent interview that:
I use parenthesis around a symbol to mean possessive. So parenthesis around a stick figure man would mean "his," in the next symbol the dot inside of parenthesis means "of the."

So it's interpretation is in fact relative to what it does refer to much like the dot symbol for "The".

Visit www.blrp.info !
{NEWFLAG} Masyn Goodchild
Fri Mar 09 2007, 08:36AM

JAG Assistant Admin

Registered Member #38

Just as FYI - I'm working hard on a LOGOS page. I'll have it ready this weekend so you can start referring to the symbols.

I'm also trying to come up with a good way to represent progress on the current contest.

Carry on.....

[ image disabled ]

Dark master of the ..... and the /'ies
{NEWFLAG} Ellume
Fri Mar 09 2007, 10:55AM

Registered Member #109

Great job Masyn! A logos page would be very helpful.

After thinking about the first line a bit and reading Garriott's interview on logos I think the first line may be closer to: "Long ago our civilization grew on a planet that was far/distant going in space/cosmos." The idea of "We grew up on a planet far away."

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} Ellume
Sat Mar 10 2007, 10:59AM

Registered Member #109

As my mind returns to the first line I find myself trying to look at it from different angles. Like I said before I suspected the meaning of the line was "We grew up far away" but another possibility could be "Our civilization grew up and had been/gone travelling in space". The second line, "When our civilization was young we looked to the cosmos and wondered if we were alone in the cosmos", still makes sense. We after all are travelling in space but still wondering if there is anything else out there.

Going along this newer line it would seem the young Eloh were technologically advanced but still wondered if other life existed and it wasnt until they discovered the powers of logos that the ways of the cosmos opened to them.

Im a bit skeptical about this, but its food for thought.

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} Vedren
Sat Mar 10 2007, 12:30PM

Registered Member #101

Well it take it that the Logos can also double for galaxy or space which are basically the same thing and the "THE" logos wouldn't be needed if we were to translate the last logos as space instead of cosmos.

[ Edited Sat Mar 10 2007, 12:30PM ]

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} Vedren
Sat Mar 10 2007, 12:44PM

Registered Member #101

Ok I should point this out to you guys this pick shows an older version of the first line from a screen shot....

[ image disabled ]

Garriott Translated this as saying something close to the following in an old interview....

A long time ago our civilization grew on a planet that was a long journey into the stars.

I think what he meant to say was...

Long ago our civilization grew on a planet that was a long journey into space...

Take note that the new version of this line has had recently created Logos added to it so we wouldn't have to assume so much of the sentance structure.

EDIT___ Also look closely at the first line of the new text that is not the symbol for "there" it has a hollow circle above the line not a solid one. And we know that this is not an updated version of "there" because the logos with the filled circle appears later in the same text.

[ Edited Sat Mar 10 2007, 12:53PM ]

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} Vedren
Sat Mar 10 2007, 01:03PM

Registered Member #101

My "offical" Vote for the first line would translate as such....Long ago our civilization grew on a planet which was far traveled in space...

Space denoting the area directly near their homeworld and not the outer areas...the cosmos.

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} Ellume
Sat Mar 10 2007, 02:01PM

Registered Member #109

Vedren wrote ...

My "offical" Vote for the first line would translate as such....Long ago our civilization grew on a planet which was far traveled in space...

Space denoting the area directly near their homeworld and not the outer areas...the cosmos.

Ironically that is the translation I used for my "official" guess despite my understanding it as "we grew up far away" instead of "we already travelled into space." I believe your interpreting it to mean the later, yes?

EDIT: Though, it sounds the former may be the intended understanding based off the old version Garriott translated.

[ Edited Sat Mar 10 2007, 02:05PM ]

[ image disabled ]
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF