News       Forums       Game Info       Guides       Gallery       Videos       Chat       Blogs       Msgs    

Forums  
Tabula Rasa Gamers :: Forums :: Coalition Headquarters :: The Engineering Shop

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Hardcore Squad Option
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: ConerVallore, Fractured, Masyn Goodchild, TehSoM
Author Post
{NEWFLAG} Fractured
Sun Jan 14 2007, 12:47PM
Assistant Admin

Registered Member #3

So Ghosthack and I were talking, and somehow we got onto the conversation of "hardcore" cases. Then I thought up Hardcore Squads, which wouldnt work exactly like most "Hardcore" cases (Perma-death).

I figured you and some close friends could start alts, and all join a squad right when they create (No killing of anything), then they could use the "Hardcore Squad" option, and after about 100 Warnings, you would finally become one. And from then on, those characters are only accesible when everyone is on.

Now what is unique about this, is when you get "knocked out", or whatever they call it, its not permenent death. You are however, not allowed to "Release", or "Go to Hospital", or whatever TR will call it. You are still allowed to be revived by your squadmates, which means, if your entire squad dies, thats it, characters are no longer playable, although held in a little trophy room privately for the players.

For anyone who has played Republic Commando, this kind of inspired it, I love that game. And I think the thrill of going through all that, then nearly having a squad wipe would just be INTENSE.

And this also isnt for everyone, I know a lot of people who just cant stand the thought of all that time gone to waste if there character dies. I'm actually usually not a Hardcore person either, because so much of it depends on luck. But if its a Squad that can revive each other, this adds more skill and determination to it (Everyone depends on everyone).

It would be awsome too, because everyone would be extra careful, carefully checking every corner, thinking out every plot, double checking plans, scouting everything. If you got deep enough into the levels, you could, become a VERY realistic squad.

Wanted to see what other people thought.

[ Edited Sun Jan 14 2007, 12:51PM ]

The shadows always consume the weak!
{NEWFLAG} John Bourne
Sun Jan 14 2007, 02:36PM

Registered Member #7

Erm... I don't really like the idea, the basis is good, but this would work much better as my old Hardcore server idea or simply as Hardcore Instanced missions with no perma lock on characters and the good old hardcore gameplay.

John Bourne is ... available in a limited capacity.
[ image disabled ]
E N L I S T - T O D A Y !
Esseri Senzienti Liberi Alleati [RAF]
Lt. John "Chourst" Bourne, Lord of Randomness
I try to kick as much ass as I can. - With what little I have.
{NEWFLAG} GhostHack
Sun Jan 14 2007, 04:29PM
Registered Member #14

what dont you like about it?

[ image disabled ]
"Give me thy sword, that I may be
One more soul that still stands free"

~Jack Jesse, Prisoner of War, WWII "

(my grandfather)

{NEWFLAG} John Bourne
Sun Jan 14 2007, 06:51PM

Registered Member #7

Well the reason you and others didn't like the Hardcore Server idea is that it breeds arrogance in the player base and creates provisions for those with a poor "Uber-I'm-a-leet-player" mentality to 'have at!' the rest of the community because they're obviously so much more talented than everyone else. Though I do feel thats a copout for all those players who wouldn't act like ass-shats. This idea basically takes all those ass-shats you dont like, puts them on the same server as rest of the 'the-virtuouso-infinite', and gives them the same grounding to act in a fashion that was considered so unspeakably horrid before, in much closer proximity. Its not what I don't like about the idea, I'm just taking everything on board for a wider perspective than I apparently previously had.

Additionally perma lock, an entire team needs to be online to have access to your hardcore player. That pretty much breaks the usefulness factor down to a very large minority of players, increasing things to ass-shat factor ten, as the weekend warrior and happy-fun-time gamer is left uncatered for making the elitests more sectarian. You could say, turn off the Hardcore setting unless teamed and disavow the previously stated-perma lock, but the ass-shat factor that so antagonized the congregation previously still remains, admittedly at a lower level. Ass-shat factor 7?

What don't I like about the idea? The implementation my good man. The key is the implementation, and the implementation is not what it could be. And apparently will never meet the requirements of a utopian community.

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} GhostHack
Sun Jan 14 2007, 08:54PM
Registered Member #14

the implementation (from the conversation that started this)..... doesnt exist.

there ISNT implementation... this isnt an Ingame device (i.e. Diablo 2 "Making a Hardcore character")... it is, infact.... an extreme form of "RP"... a team AGREEING to have a perma death IC system in place..

with a good group together, all willing to adhere to the "rule" it would make missions and fights in general more stressful and tactical, as death has a consequence.

the only way to "inforce" it, of course, would be exclusion.... but the system states that only "respawning" or having the whole team die would result in an "IC Permadeath"

if you dont wanna play by the rules... you just dont play with that group (or at least that group of characters) anymore.

[ image disabled ]

(my grandfather)

{NEWFLAG} Fractured
Sun Jan 14 2007, 09:28PM
Assistant Admin

Registered Member #3

This was a implemented option idea Ghost . But it wont happen, and I'd still like to do RP style . Just a option would make it a bit easier to keep track of things.

The shadows always consume the weak!
{NEWFLAG} John Bourne
Mon Jan 15 2007, 02:27AM

Registered Member #7

Just to note GH, the idea presented above is different or atleast has differences to the idea presented on the RaF forum, perhaps thats part of the confusion.

I still think hardcore settings are going to be appreciated by a lot of people, but it seems we're looking for an implementation that serves opposite purposes, A. makes the rewards bigger, while B. making the egotists more humble.

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} GhostHack
Mon Jan 15 2007, 10:05PM
Registered Member #14

ah, my bad... carryon.

[ image disabled ]

(my grandfather)

{NEWFLAG} GhostHack
Mon Jan 15 2007, 10:05PM
Registered Member #14

ah, my bad... carryon.

[ image disabled ]

(my grandfather)

{NEWFLAG} Harlequin
Tue Jan 16 2007, 12:21AM
Registered Member #6

Quite frankly, I disagree with the concept entirely. Restricted to an RP setting or not, I too believe any system like that breeds a ridiculous amount of elitism and arrogance. It also demonstrates such a lack of respect for your own (and others') freetime that I would avoid almost any and all association with members of a team who participated in it such a playstyle and I would warn other to do the same. Even if you claim that it would have to be an agreement entered into with mutual consent, it's the attitude towards the game itself that I find repulsive; when players begin to take a "freetime" activity so seriously that fun and playing the game become mutually exclusive. Overall, the kind of tension that creates is unhealthy for almost any gaming community, clans especially.

But make no mistake, in my disagreement I would make no move to stop anyone from creating such an organization. Masochism might be right for some people, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Oh, and as an aside, when was the last time you guys EVER played an MMORPG (or almost any game for that matter) that you or your team didn't die/wipe at least once in? Trying to avoid the inevitable is the definition of madness, isn't it?

[ image disabled ]
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF