News       Forums       Game Info       Guides       Gallery       Videos       Chat       Blogs       Msgs    

Forums  
Tabula Rasa Gamers :: Forums :: Coalition Headquarters :: The Engineering Shop

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Bane Raids against ASF Bases
Go to page   <<      
Moderators: ConerVallore, Fractured, Masyn Goodchild, TehSoM
Author Post
{NEWFLAG} GhostHack
Sun Jan 21 2007, 01:54AM
Registered Member #14

You know, originally I was gonna be nix on this idea (too much room for abuse, with characters being responsible for another character's ammo, and constant stupidity resulting in FREQUENT failure... which would be bad for the main AFS base)

but the more I think on it.... this gives us a way to "conquer" a battlefield in a certain portion of the planet....

basically... due to strategic importance and "Banite ergonomically designed structures and technology".... if a battlefield is taken... the previous bane base becomes the target of future attempts to retake the zone.

basically.... the playerbase takes over a battle field, making it basically safe (just lowbie content, natural threats/monsters, and Bane scouts)
so high level character, in general, migrate to other battlefields to help the fight in those zones...

but every so often, one of these "pseudo events" occurs, each time can be identically coded (as the "freshness" of these missions comes from the mass player interaction)

A general alarm sounds and everyone needs to rush to the walls of the conquered Bane base (this, of course, clears out other battlefields on the planet, causing AFS to lose ground in those areas, giving us a reasonable reason why we must "retake" ground in other areas)

so everyone gets to the wall, and the bane attack... wave after wave.... and due to the actions of the playerbase.... either we repell the hoard.... Or they re-take their foothold on that battlefield.... enabling dropships to send in troops to many areas of the map, quickly re-establishing battlelines on the planet...

...basically, the battlefield becomes a fresh zone again....

OR, we successfully repell the attack, and the zone remains in ASF hands....

depending on how the devs want it to play out.... these "hold the fort" mini-events could scale harder and harder the more successes the Alliance has (to give the playerbase the "possibility" of keeping a battlefield "liberated".... without making it certain, or even common)

whew.... well, Im sold.

[ image disabled ]
"Give me thy sword, that I may be
One more soul that still stands free"

~Jack Jesse, Prisoner of War, WWII "

(my grandfather)

{NEWFLAG} Erin Bludd
Sun Jan 21 2007, 09:06AM

Registered Member #32

And since the base was recently taken the base doesn't have ammo. So drop-ships arrive and start dropping in crates of ammo (I guess this follows the principle that ammo is free, at least for the big attacks, ie base raids). And maybe the drop-ship could deliver some low levels to help distribute ammo.

What I really want to know, is if this would be reciprocated. Say the people playing that day are just doing horribly and Bane capture one of our outlying bases (they'd need some kind of offense other than just making attacks to recover lost territory that type of war CANNOT be won). An order would go out for troops to "Report ASAP to such-and-such base for immediate offense and recovery of such-and-such base." Then you get dropped a little ways out from the base (drop-ships need to be out of range of Bane AA) and you then (hopefully) plan the attack and attempt to take back the base. We really wouldn't be able to do it in waves unless there were enough of us (not sure how bad lag would be if so). Since the base was recently taken I would hope there weren't any towers and if there were they would be left over from our base, if the Bane hadn't destroyed them. If you die you could respawn at the drop-ships? But make there a maximum of times though like you can respawn three times (no combat rezzing does not count as a respawn) then you either go elsewhere or go into observer mode(? not sure if that would be a feature or if it'd be practical)

Just an idea.

Edit: To be honest, I don't know if it has ever been said if ammo is unlimited or limited. Personally, I would feel cheated if we had unlimited ammo. Takes some of the realism and "oh s***" factor out.

[ Edited Sun Jan 21 2007, 09:10AM ]

[ image disabled ]
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills;we shall never surrender." -Sir Winston Churchill
When there is no light, we shall be the light. When hope fades, we shall become hope. And if humanity is to be judged by its final stand, then let us fight!
"A culling is at hand human. Consider this the overture to my symphony!" -Cabal
Silence is golden, duct tape is silver, and plastiques are the final solution.
{NEWFLAG} GhostHack
Sun Jan 21 2007, 11:06AM
Registered Member #14

its limited... and there are different types (Im getting an EvE vibe about it... i.e. necessary, but relatively easy to aquire.)

[ image disabled ]

(my grandfather)

{NEWFLAG} Erin Bludd
Sun Jan 21 2007, 01:32PM

Registered Member #32

Of course that position becomes useless if the Bane are able to capture all the terrain directly around the base.

Now the issue of the low level players. Would we want them to play as buffer zone around the base? They could act like a skirmish line back in the Napoleonic tactics (no not the picket line). They are the buffer. They engage and once enough of the enemy is coming down on them they fall back behind the real lines where the higher levels wait with the bigger guns.

And on the topic of the Bane attempting to recover the base, how long would it be before they launched the offensive? Would they immediately send a small scouting group to see how many are in the base? Or would they wait for like 10-20-30 minutes to make a massive offensive? Just something we gotta think out.

[ image disabled ]
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills;we shall never surrender." -Sir Winston Churchill
When there is no light, we shall be the light. When hope fades, we shall become hope. And if humanity is to be judged by its final stand, then let us fight!
{NEWFLAG} GhostHack
Sun Jan 21 2007, 03:33PM
Registered Member #14

I would imagine that when the base is captured... there is a lull... maybe a full real time day... durring that time, immediately after the take over there are basically no bane on the battle field... but as time passes the scouting parties become more and more prevalent...

I imagine that the way it would would, is that the "bane invasion" would take over a ring of the closest "control points" to the recycling bane main camp... then launch their assault inward from there.

what this means... is that not only are we defending the base, but we are trying to attack those control points from the main ASF base....

this gives people who missed the "event" to still help the cause.... and give us more than one way to "win" the event.

new players could help in that way, as well as be runners in the base, so people dont have to get off the wall

[ image disabled ]

(my grandfather)

{NEWFLAG} Erin Bludd
Sun Jan 21 2007, 04:58PM

Registered Member #32

So you're saying that any Bane in the surrounding area would fall back immediately to a more secure position? Or would we have to have "sweeping" parties to eradicate the leftover Bane before they could fall back to "add" to the offensive. OR would the Bane in the surrounding area have been already defeated due to the fact that the surrounding Bane came to the aid of the base when it was initially under attack. I'm just really curious as to how smart/aware the Bane actually are. I know we have been told of their intelligence being higher than that of the typical MMORPG, which I'm thankful for because how close you can stand to some mobs is just disappointing/hilarious. (I wonder if CuppaJo could shed light here without getting in trouble )

And I like your point of the control points. I hadn't thought of them but yes that would be good. Like if your section of the wall wasn't under attack you could attempt to take the control point that would allow them the avenue to attack from that direction on foot (without having to drop them in). Only that tactic wouldn't work if they were attacking in echelon. But again I'm not sure of the intelligence of the Bane if they would be intelligent enough to use actual tactics (would be SO awesome if they were and would make the game A LOT harder ).

I'm probably thinking this over too realistically and it would probably be harder than crud to program that and still have a all around kick-butt game.

PS: I have a friend that said the devs really like to read the community boards (they should read our board ;P)...is that true CuppaJo?

Edit: It might sound like I'm badgering you but I like your version of the idea and I'm trying to get you to elaborate more by bringing up other points that seem significant to me.

[ Edited Sun Jan 21 2007, 05:04PM ]

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} GhostHack
Mon Jan 22 2007, 12:09AM
Registered Member #14

basically... I imagine that "In Game", as the battle line shifts forward... there will be scouts/raiding parties throughout the "Green zone" on the ASF side of the frontline.

basically, taking over the map, moves the battle line to an "all clear" status... this, of course, doesnt mean the map is completely free of threats.... there will still be those same scouts/raiders around the map...

however, I imagine that these "safe zone enimes" (SZE's.. Suzies) would primarily be Squiby low level content... and with the whole map "clear", new Squibs will be able to hunt Suzie all over the map...

Now, how I picture it, is that there will be an eratic grid of control points across the map, giving us a flexable frontline throughout the game.
controlling all of them is basically the only way for we players to actually "Capture" the main Banite fortress in that battle field (and, of course, there are several battlefields across each planet, some more difficult than others)

As I said, once its captured, the ASF will have control of all the points on the battlefield from the Allied base to the Bane fortress.
When the Banite assault event occurs... all control points surrounding the bane fortress fall to the assault squad, and become an LZ for Bane drop ships...

stopping the invasion is the real "victory"... it doesnt just "end"...

now, in the begining stages of the fight... being outside the fortress, and trying to fight the bane (either hellside between the LZ and the wall.... or out on the Green between the ASF base and the LZ) is basically suicide... tons of enemies, explosions, stalkers, bosses, ect... The Bane begin entrenching the Green-side of their LZ line, and begin assaulting the Bane fortress...

the object, then, is to eliminate a wave of troops and ships before the next wave arrives (not the easiest task, of course, but dooable). with the enemy line weakened, we can attack their temporary LZ... both through hellside raiding parties, and non-base assaults from the Green. As we take control points back, fewer and fewer drop ships are able to land, making it harder and harder for the bane to take back points.... until we "recapture" the field.

so, we have a big surge at the begining, sweating bullets and having squibs keeping the walls stocked, and vet melee'rs protecting the gates... then as everyone gets into the groove, we begin to take a lead in the killing, and begin to attack back, hopefully, eventually, pushing the bane off the field again.

.... or we lose the base, and the Bane begin expanding hellside back towards the ASF base.

[ image disabled ]

(my grandfather)

{NEWFLAG} Erin Bludd
Mon Feb 19 2007, 09:55AM

Registered Member #32

How about we just drop a couple Phosphorus bombs on Bane bases? And then move in and take them.

[ Edited Mon Feb 19 2007, 11:40AM ]

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} Erin Bludd
Sun Mar 11 2007, 04:46PM

Registered Member #32

This doesn't have much to do with Bane Raids but it does deal with conquered bases.

I would like to see foliage begin to reappear around a base if we hold it for a while. Like sapplings start growing, grass begins to reappear, and shrubbery comes back into being. We hold the base a week in our time and foliage begins to regrow, that's the kind of timeline I'm talking about. So if held long enough the base would eventually look, at least around it, like the Bane never owned it. Of course this takes into account the assumption that there is already foliage there to begin with. Oh and can't forget that wildlife comes back also, the docile and aggressive.

Also if Bane happen to take one of our bases by the end of the week, if there was foliage to begin with, all foliage is gone and dead trees might be left.

[ image disabled ]
Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF