News       Forums       Game Info       Guides       Gallery       Videos       Chat       Blogs       Msgs    

Forums  
Tabula Rasa Gamers :: Forums :: Coalition Headquarters :: The Engineering Shop

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Bane Raids against ASF Bases
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: ConerVallore, Fractured, Masyn Goodchild, TehSoM
Author Post
{NEWFLAG} Fractured
Fri Jan 12 2007, 11:08AM
Assistant Admin

Registered Member #3

This could, and could not link to the Upgrade Outpost thread, but its not suppose to work with attacking a pole.

I'm a person of intense moments, moments where you ARE going to die, and you rush back to the spot to get back into the fight. This idea is wrapped all around that, and it really has to do with pulling the community together. This is NOT something that would be implemented right away, because it would kind of be higher level content, something to help keep people interested longer, althouhg I added some ideas for lower level people.

What I would like to see, is for The Bane to send a large attack against a outpost. Of course there would be like a 30 minutes warning, that a base was going to be under attack. This gives people time to finish a mission, and start heading towards the outpost.

During this period, you would also see NPC's running around, loading the turrets full of ammo, reinforcing doors, all bracing for the large invasion. Also, there will be a NPC that gives away ammo, nothing great, but you will be using A LOT of ammo during this time.

The guy that gives away ammo I can see having a mission for the lower levels, which could be intense for itself. But I'll get into that in a second.

Of course players will line the walls, or infront of the door, waiting for it to fall, and for the flood of Thrax coming in. NPC's will also join the players, nothing with extremely powerful guns or anything, just for show mostly .

Anyways, once the 30 minutes is up, you could see some Thrax at the horizon. This would of course just be the first wave, kind of like scouts to see how heavily defended it is. Then larger groups would come. To the point where it becomes overwhelming for the base, and everyone is rushing to kill everything in sight, trying to keep them off the walls.

Also at one point, something could happen, say Bane gets a artillery base setup, and they are lobbing large plasma balls that explode into the base. This could setup a mission for a group to go out and destroy that artillery before it obliterates everyone! There could be many missions like this, from a couple of people running to a near Outpost to pickup more ammo. Or destroying a Bane satallite dish to slow down the deployment of Stalkers or Predators. That and could retrieve help from a prison, or near outpost that is willing to reinforce the sieged Outpost.

Also because these will most likely last along time, probably a hour or two, people WILL run out of ammo, and at a point, it will be so hectic, the attacking players wont have time to run back and get more ammo. This is where some lower levels could come in handy, while they wont be very effective fighting the Bane, they could be effective in doing missions to restoring ammo to players.

I could see either box's on the catwalks that would hold this ammo, or they get delivered directly to the players. The mission could go in a line, like you go into a queue, and when a attacking player announces hes near empty, the person in line has to run out to the player, and give him his ammo. This could work the same for reviving KO'd players.

That sounds extremely easy, yes, and probably be a bit slow at first. But once the Bane siege reaches close to its peak, I see a Matrix style setting. A forcefield blocks the ammo mission guy from the outside attack. He gives the mission to someone, they load up on ammo, say they are ready, the force field drops, 2 NPC guards go out with 2 heavy gattling guns, and just open fire, then once the player gets out, they re-enter.

When hes running around, you cant forget about a Stalker or two dropping INSIDE the base, creating havoc that way. Or a squad of Predators go in, trying to target anyone in the courtyard (Probably ammo carriers, or revivers). Also, turrets will need refilling, and NPCs.

As for the Turrets, they would be on auto-pilot, until a player takes control. This could work like any possession skill, you look like you are the turret, and you aim and fire. This would be more effective then automatic control, faster fire, more damage, ect. This would be given to the lowers levels before any higher levels.

Now because the lower levels arnt exactly gaining xp for killing Bane, they would get xp according to there level for each mission they do.

I seriously would love to see a mix of both that Starship Troopers base being over-run, and the Matrix where the Sentinels attack the city, and you see people running around bringing ammo.

Wow thats long. Anyways, be cool .

So short summary

-ASF Outpost
-Lots of Bane
-Kill Bane
-Missions to help
-Overwhelming Bane d00m
-Fun
-.Yea....

[ Edited Fri Jan 12 2007, 11:10AM ]

The shadows always consume the weak!
{NEWFLAG} John Bourne
Sun Jan 14 2007, 07:34PM

Registered Member #7

Cinematically this would be awesome, but with the implementation of Bases the way they are needed as a 'Sanctuary' for players, economically and socially among other things (yes a sanctuary in a black hole would've been much nicer, the revision wasn't all good). Having them field to this role would create an antagonizing situation for a lot of players quite often.

However, I can see this working inside large instanced spaces... A GM opens up with a AFS wide COMM message, a new outpost is under construction on Planet #####, L1###.### L2###.### (or something appropriate) ... bane troops spotted assistance required. Or depending on the attack size, these messages could be filtered out to a small, random or specified grouping of players, they can then spend time recruiting up more individuals if required or send in scout teams to establish perimeter outposts and Bane numbers. The Bane then commence their attack on the instanced out post, the players defend.

Being instanced, all outposts can potentially be different, on different planets, perhaps field new environments before new planets release as tests, with different additional events during play, "Bane Mother Ship!", "Predator Squadron 9'O'Clock high!", "Thrax Shock Troops, Multiple Waves!", "Perimeter Breached! Defend the Keep!" etc. Being Instanced a GM/Other can sit with the instance from start to finish or skip through multiple instances setting off other significant events for a more human and less IF-ELSE coding feel.

As for mini-games, certainly things can be coded, and multiple mini-games could potentially run side by side unhindered.

Lastly, being an instanced space would allow for the option of retaining a battlefield for long periods of time with no disruption. Also, those instances won 'could' potentially be accessible and loadable to winning Clans, perhaps available to them as options to Bunk at, and peraps with enough successive wins, available to have a HQ at... with the posibility for multiple Clans to HQ at a single instanced base, becoming its protectors in successive attacks. Instanced not loaded (no attacks little clan activity), downgrade till clans no longer have HQs and the bases no longer exist (as the frontlines move forward). Bases over-run, initiate re-capture missions to squads, and either disappear or downgrade significantly (to the point of losing Clan capacity or Clan establishments altogether).

I think though, the mini-games have promise, but I can't help thinking of making pizza in The Sims Online, or making robots... That was grinding beyond measure.

John Bourne is ... available in a limited capacity.
[ image disabled ]
E N L I S T - T O D A Y !
Esseri Senzienti Liberi Alleati [RAF]
Lt. John "Chourst" Bourne, Lord of Randomness
I try to kick as much ass as I can. - With what little I have.
{NEWFLAG} Erin Bludd
Mon Jan 15 2007, 11:21PM

Registered Member #32

I would love to see something like that. To have wave after wave of enemy crashing upon our positions would be positively.....AWESOME!! With that said I'll probably have to get DSL at home instead of dial up . So enjoying this T3 right now at school. Back on topic, my only question is..How much does each clip hold and how much extra ammo do you carry? If the enemy force was thick enough you'd be expending ammo at exponential rates. They get close enough its a Spray-and-Pray ;P. Oh and on the ammo rushing what happened if the guy carrying your ammo is 86'd? You just SOL? Sure would hate to be that guy, course that's what a knife and your feet, knees, and fists are for . I say slaughter them all! Let them come in their hordes and they shall be slain next to each other. Remember we have nothing to fear but fear itself!

[ image disabled ]
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills;we shall never surrender." -Sir Winston Churchill
When there is no light, we shall be the light. When hope fades, we shall become hope. And if humanity is to be judged by its final stand, then let us fight!
"A culling is at hand human. Consider this the overture to my symphony!" -Cabal
Silence is golden, duct tape is silver, and plastiques are the final solution.
{NEWFLAG} Fractured
Tue Jan 16 2007, 01:14AM
Assistant Admin

Registered Member #3

I'd have to guess if the guy who was assigned to bring your ammo dies, then someone else has to go to there corpse, take the mission from them, and continue there way. Its not like the ASF has unlimited ammo, gotta use what we got!

{NEWFLAG} John Bourne
Tue Jan 16 2007, 06:42AM

Registered Member #7

It'd be nice if the game automatically redirected ammo runners via radio calls if they're needed else where, like an AI entity behind it all working out the best routes for ammo carriers etc.

But in the end the idea needs to be implemented simply and seamlessly, I thinking queing and calling it a mission detatch it from the game environment somewhat and make it feel like a mini game too much, whereas you should be able to run back to the ammo dump, grab ammo for a friend and then disppose of a few Thrax along the way, it'd actually be a good team building exercise for Clans with new recruits who perhaps don't yet have the skills to perform well these kinds of defensive firefights.

John Bourne is ... available in a limited capacity.
[ image disabled ]
E N L I S T - T O D A Y !
Esseri Senzienti Liberi Alleati [RAF]
Lt. John "Chourst" Bourne, Lord of Randomness
I try to kick as much ass as I can. - With what little I have.
{NEWFLAG} Erin Bludd
Tue Jan 16 2007, 09:55AM

Registered Member #32

ooooo Well said. I like it. From the gist I get from both your original posts in Frac's the ammo dump seems embedded deep in the base and with Lt's it seems, since the base is being built at the time, that there is no ammo dump or if there is one its packaged.

How about one of the things the Scouts/Rangers can do when arriving at the base while setting up turrets and what not, they can distribute ammo to the different "hardpoints." That would erase the need for ammo runners and has a more "official" military feel to me. Also I would want Sappers/Engineers/Demolitionists(if they exist in Tier4) to arrive *with* the Scouts to help make buffer zones (ie minefields). Also a more official military feel because of being prepared.

[ image disabled ]
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills;we shall never surrender." -Sir Winston Churchill
When there is no light, we shall be the light. When hope fades, we shall become hope. And if humanity is to be judged by its final stand, then let us fight!
{NEWFLAG} Fractured
Tue Jan 16 2007, 04:07PM
Assistant Admin

Registered Member #3

I personally wouldnt like the idea of getting rid of the ammo runners. I like it for the action scene, and it gives lower levels a way to participate.

{NEWFLAG} Erin Bludd
Tue Jan 16 2007, 04:21PM

Registered Member #32

I have an idea to keep your ammo runners but instead of sending one at a time multiple ones would be sent all carrying a small crate of ammo. This gives a greater chance of the ammo getting to its targeted location and that hardpoint will not require ammo very soon allowing more time to get the other hardpoints before the previous hardpoint needs to be restocked. They deposit in the "ammo dump" for each hard point as the hardpoints call for ammo. (All hardpoints start with only the ammo on the men/women manning the position.)

I have another question. If your part of the battlefield is "quiet" can you hear the other parts of the base that are being attacked? I don't understand everything about the Bane but they aren't so stupid as to hit from every direction right? You gotta send in the scouts (or a company depending on the size of the conflict) for some skirmish action to find the enemy defenses and "bump" down the line to find the weakest point. Then hit that point hard with a fresh unit. I only say this cause as far as I know (ya'll definitely know *a lot* more than I) we have no aerial reconnaissance and that, for the most part when it comes to fixed positions, takes away the need for scouts but scouts are still a necessary precaution in my book because they can find hidden gun nests or minefields and mark them off. Am I thinking about this too hard or am I even on topic anymore?

[ Edited Tue Jan 16 2007, 04:23PM ]

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} Erin Bludd
Fri Jan 19 2007, 08:04AM

Registered Member #32

Fractured wrote ...

Of course players will line the walls, or infront of the door, waiting for it to fall, and for the flood of Thrax coming in.

Better put demo packs on either side of the door in the hallway. Let them rush in a little then BOOOM!!!

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} Erin Bludd
Sat Jan 20 2007, 02:41PM

Registered Member #32

I was just watching one of the videos on this site and in this video there is a voice that announces an attack on a watchtower and for troops to report to it for defense ASAP.

Edit: Also, does anyone else think that the helmets without visors look...well just plain dorky.

[ Edited Sat Jan 20 2007, 02:58PM ]

[ image disabled ]
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF