News       Forums       Game Info       Guides       Gallery       Videos       Chat       Blogs       Msgs    

Forums  
Tabula Rasa Gamers :: Forums :: Coalition Headquarters :: The Engineering Shop

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Upgrade the capturable Outposts
Moderators: ConerVallore, Fractured, Masyn Goodchild, TehSoM
Author Post
{NEWFLAG} Fractured
Sun Jan 07 2007, 05:21AM
Assistant Admin

Registered Member #3

One of my biggest problems I have with TR right now, is the actual lack of what outposts are. Just a pole with a symbol on-top doesnt really mean anything to me. I'd really like to see a small base, couple fo buildings, walls around.

This is just a suggestion, but I'd like to see Outposts spread out more, but are a bit larger then what they are now, and harder to capture. I dont think one person should be able to run up and capture a outpost, should have to take a small squad.

That and make them change from when they are captured. I was thinking if it was under ASF control, it would just look solid metal, turrets, and some guards. And once the Bane took control of it, it would slowly take on a more organic look, as if something is infesting the outpost itself. The longer Bane has it under control, the harder it is to take it over (Maybe like a 2 hours max).

Then if ASF takes over a Bane outpost, you see some workers trying to bring it back to normal. Then you see more guards as it comes back to normal, some more turrets to help protect it. If this happened, I think it would give more of a "feel" of meaning to taking it. Just a pole doesnt seem very important to me.

This way you could also show maybe like a Mine shaft in the middle of a outpost, to represent that it gives resources. Or a ammo building, for a resupply base. Or anything along that line.

I just rethought something, I could maybe see the whole "pole" thing to help represent the frontlines. But I really think there should be quite a few outposts around, that would be more priority. This could always be how it is now, and I really hope it is .

[ Edited Sun Jan 07 2007, 05:23AM ]

The shadows always consume the weak!
{NEWFLAG} Deep Shadow
Mon Jan 08 2007, 08:48AM

Registered Member #12

I was a bit underwhelmed by the videos of them capturing outpost.

I'm either hoping for a Planetside, multistory structures that have to be breached and taken by force.
Or Battlefield2/BF2142 outpost that have some cover and structures inside and around them.
Running up to a shack with a light above it and gunning down a few Non entities is somewhat anti clamatic.

I wanna Blow in doors.. rush through corridors... gunza blazing... Muwahahaha...
I want to scuffle in the hallways... have firefights behind desk and computer consoles, and then mop up any Bane remaining... ... ... I know... I'm gonna go back and play CounterStrike...

I really wish we knew something about this game, other then it's a sci-fi action/rpg,
where aliens want to enslave everyone.
I need some details... or to know what DG is trying to achieve in TR.
When do we get a little focusing info... ? ? ?

Anyway... I'm not getting myself killed for a pole, unless it's a lightsaber.

- - - - -
Cover.. cover.. cover...

Some people make things happen.
Some people watch things happen.
Some people wonder what happened.
Deep Shadow, of the Rank and File. [RaF]
{NEWFLAG} Fractured
Mon Jan 08 2007, 10:50AM
Assistant Admin

Registered Member #3

While I would love actually going INTO a base, I think that would be a little much right away, for outposts atleast. I dont believe most outposts had much of a actual base. But a pole does still bother me, I'd atleast like some walls, and some some guards standing around.

{NEWFLAG} ConerVallore
Mon Jan 08 2007, 11:15AM

JAG Head Admin

Registered Member #1

I have to agree with you both in that the simple poll does seem a little... cheesy you could say.

IMO the best kind of "outpost" would be something like what was shown in Starship Troopers (why does this movie remind me of TR?) Large bases like Planetside to me don’t seem to fit TR as we are a race whom just lost their home world and are now struggling to build up a resistance to the bane. While some bases that play as headquarters on a given planet or maybe left behind Eloh bases will work, for the most part I invasion outposts to be pre-built structures that the AFS has been able to transport, build and secure with little time or effort. I think a TR outpost would only have the basic of structures including a walled perimeter, a few turrets, a troop bunker, a mess hall, a small com center and maybe an armory. Outpost could also vary in size and design depending on how deep into bane territory they are.

Anyways… here is an example:
[ image disabled ]

[ image disabled ]
=> ConerVallore <=
JAG Network Head Admin
{NEWFLAG} Fractured
Mon Jan 08 2007, 11:23AM
Assistant Admin

Registered Member #3

Its kind of funny, but that is the EXACT base I was thinking of. I was picturing a bit smaller then that, but its what I REALLY would like to see. I think a difference in size should make a big deal, like how important a certain outpost could be, the difficulty to take it over, and the rewards for having it. But like I said before, a single pole would be fine with me, but ONLY to help show the frontline. The Outposts mentioned above is what I'd really like to see.

{NEWFLAG} Deep Shadow
Mon Jan 08 2007, 11:36AM

Registered Member #12

I completely forget about StarShip trooper's camps.
Now whats in that pictures.. would work nicely.

Fighting for or in that kind of a base, could get hectic and firece... much better tthen runing up to an obelisk, shooting the two bane standing near it and turn it's symbol to the trisk.

That image...
Makes me think of a mission in GRAW where you had to sneak into a enemy camp and blow up some armor, it was a fun and challenging mission especially on co-op.

- - - - -
Stick with the Master Cheif he'll know what to do.

Some people make things happen.
Some people watch things happen.
Some people wonder what happened.
Deep Shadow, of the Rank and File. [RaF]
{NEWFLAG} Obiyer
Wed Jan 10 2007, 12:58PM

Registered Member #29

Level Design is key here. Since everyone will be fighting NPC’s we can’t expect the level of chaos that’s in a Planetside Outpost cap. What peaks my curiosity is if the Outposts uses the classes to their full capacity. For example if a group consisted of a Ranger, Biotech and a Commando it would require all of the abilities of the three classes. This would entail random generation of the Outpost and the mission details, and I haven’t seen any evidence supporting this.

In the end I feel TR will be a sit back and watch type of games especially without PvP. It’ll be fun for a whomp but I don’t expect the level of tenacity that comes from a heated Planetside or BF 2142 battle.
{NEWFLAG} John Bourne
Wed Jan 10 2007, 08:16PM

Registered Member #7

I'm a little hazed and tired and jet lagged but here are a few of my cent.

I think theres a preception and scale issue here, first off outposts really just represent those invisable lines of territorial control across a battlefield, the fact these segments of the battlefields are cut up and centered around Roman-esque spot-lit columns with Las Vegas style lights is cheesy, and a little cheap, its a short-cut to reality as far as I'm concerned no matter the explaination offered.

Scale wise, there are two outposts comparable to what everyone really wants to see on the Foreas battlefield, they just haven't both been displayed with the purpose of being captured. These little square structures near teleport jump points and their "flag poles" are outposts of outposts of outposts, they'll never be the same. Its unfortunate but the Foreas map is just a little tacky, it just looks like an implementation of all the good ideas stuck together with silver duct tape and none lacks polish from the ground up, even though its apparent they've spit shined the surface for E3 appearences.

In the new screenshots we see trenchworks etc and what looks to be better examples of defensible and entrenched positions on what are probably other battlefields. Running through buildings clearing out Bane isnt likely to happen, as everything seems instanced - which is a shame, a nice mix of open architecture and instanced spaces would make for a more belieable world.

As more battlefields become available I'm sure they'll become more exciting and more inventive, maybe we'll get lucky and DG haven't already made too much of a commitment to the Foreas map as is, and can make changes based on beta and community feedback.

John Bourne is ... available in a limited capacity.
[ image disabled ]
E N L I S T - T O D A Y !
Esseri Senzienti Liberi Alleati [RAF]
Lt. John "Chourst" Bourne, Lord of Randomness
I try to kick as much ass as I can. - With what little I have.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF