News       Forums       Game Info       Guides       Gallery       Videos       Chat       Blogs       Msgs    

Forums  
Tabula Rasa Gamers :: Forums :: Coalition Headquarters :: The Engineering Shop

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Facial Expressions
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: ConerVallore, Fractured, Masyn Goodchild, TehSoM
Author Post
{NEWFLAG} John Bourne
Wed Dec 20 2006, 03:12PM

Registered Member #7

Have you ever sat and looked at some of the ingame images from Tabula Rasa, I've spent an awful lot of time looking through the Gallery recently and I've noticed something disturbing.

Soldiers in the heat of battle, blasting away ... with looks of mild confusion on their faces. Avatars caught mid cast of a Knock Down logos blast looking a little constipated, maybe a touch hungry. This can't be allowed to continue, where are the gritted teeth, the whites of the eyes! The courageous battle screams, the anger, the tension, the 'I sure as hell don't look like I've just stepped in something brown and nasty' looks.

The passion, the pride needs to be displayed through the characters of the game, we're visual creatures and sometimes to know something is there, we need to be able to see it.

Did I mention sweat glistening on brows? Yes I believe that too is an important addition ... but would require its own sub-forum to fully comprehend the nessecity of its over whelming importantness.

John Bourne is ... available in a limited capacity.
[ image disabled ]
E N L I S T - T O D A Y !
Esseri Senzienti Liberi Alleati [RAF]
Lt. John "Chourst" Bourne, Lord of Randomness
I try to kick as much ass as I can. - With what little I have.
{NEWFLAG} Tainted Greek
Thu Dec 21 2006, 01:11AM
Registered Member #15

Hmmm to be realistic a bit facial expressions atm for a toon you will be facing from the rear all the time sounds a bit too much for the launch.Maybe later although i like the idea striking fear in the opponents.

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} John Bourne
Thu Dec 21 2006, 02:09AM

Registered Member #7

Actually, in all seriousness, I think some facial animations are already in. Teeth bare when you fire the heavy machine gun for instance, it just, looks vaguely, like bowl strain *cough*.

It'll be nice to see a full range post launch, especially when tied into the players actions and emotes.

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} Harlequin
Thu Dec 21 2006, 04:14AM
Registered Member #6

Well, considering this (I think) would be the first MMORPG to actually use ANY facial expressions rather than just a ploygonal face with a texture slapped on, I think cutting the dev team some slack is warranted. The only game I can think of, though I might be wrong, that came close is WoW. But even then, it was really just a slight animation for the mouth.

Considering the heavy graphical requirements that are already going to be tacked on to TR when it launches, adding just one more thing to slow down a player's system might be a bit risky.

We'll have to wait and see what lag potential TR will have, but in the mean time, I'm going to go revel in the fact that I just upgraded my graphics card to handle the facial expresssion that the game will have.

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} John Bourne
Thu Dec 21 2006, 02:17PM

Registered Member #7

Well from what I've looked at, its on the level with WoW thus far atleast. Though I'II point out this topic was originally more slap-stick than a slap at the Dev teams efforts.

Also of note, such animations would be client side, apart from emotes, so lag wouldn't be an issue, graphically speaking though it could potentially eat up a minute amount of processing power and rendering speed, all depends how its implemented though and whether your system is just plain unhappy.

Congrats on the new GFX card Harlequin, buying yourself christmas presents already? I lost my PC recently and have to repurchase early next year, so if you shopped around for your card, feel free to give some opinions on some of the latest hardware.

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} Harlequin
Thu Dec 21 2006, 04:06PM
Registered Member #6

Without a doubt the best graphics cards on the market would be the nVidia 8000 series. They are the next generation of graphics technology and settling for a lower nVidia or ATI card would be silly right now.

However, whether you're planning on a whole new computer purchase or just looking to upgrade your card, you have to make absolutely sure that the nVidia 8000 cards will fit on the motherboard's PCI-E slot(s). Those are a bloody BRICK! They're HUGE-MONGUS! So be careful the motherboard you have or are going to buy has enough room.

Secondly, I highly suggest PriceGrabber.com for buying the video card, if not anything else you might be wanting. I was able to dig up an nVidia 8800 GTS card for under $500 including shipping! And those cards JUST came out!

Anyway, that's all I can think of for the moment, but I'm sure I could come up with some more information in the future if anyone wants to PM me a question or two. I'm no expect....but I know a lot of peopel who are!

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} John Bourne
Thu Dec 21 2006, 09:24PM

Registered Member #7

Which 8800 GTS did you get, I see plenty of cards with the chipsets, but the reviews are a little erratic, from good-awesome (with the odd naysayer), is one branding better than another, better cooling perhaps? Specifics are a little vague in what I've read. Hey.. if you want, post your dream specifications (within a reasonable budget), I'm sure it'd help more than me get an idea what sort of rig to look for to get the best out of TR, even the facial animations.

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} Harlequin
Thu Dec 21 2006, 11:13PM
Registered Member #6

Without going into a fll rig setup (that would actualy require me to think ), I would recommend EVGA for the nVidia card manufacturer. There are a couple different options like BFG and such, but I've found EVGA's cards to be very reliable and relatively problem-free. And on top of that, they remain on the cheaper end of the spectrum.

[ Edited Thu Dec 21 2006, 11:14PM ]

[ image disabled ]
{NEWFLAG} Erin Bludd
Tue Jan 16 2007, 04:37PM

Registered Member #32

John Bourne wrote ...

Teeth bare when you fire the heavy machine gun for instance, it just, looks vaguely, like bowl strain *cough*.

lol Dragonball Z anyone?

[ image disabled ]
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills;we shall never surrender." -Sir Winston Churchill
When there is no light, we shall be the light. When hope fades, we shall become hope. And if humanity is to be judged by its final stand, then let us fight!
"A culling is at hand human. Consider this the overture to my symphony!" -Cabal
Silence is golden, duct tape is silver, and plastiques are the final solution.
{NEWFLAG} John Bourne
Tue Jan 16 2007, 06:40PM

Registered Member #7

Yeah, Kam-e Kam-e HAH must translate into english as, I've got constipation. Or, I shouldn't have had that 8th Burrito...

[ image disabled ]
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF